Twenty-seventh Annual International Conference
Hilton Palmer House Hotel
March 3-4, 2018
The Association for Practical and Professional Ethics, in partnership with the Western Michigan University Center for the Study of Ethics in Society and the WMU Homer Stryker School of Medicine, will host a mini-conference on Saturday and Sunday, March 3-4, in conjunction with the 2018 APPE Annual International Conference in Chicago, Illinois.
This mini conference will begin on Saturday afternoon and will continue on Sunday morning, concluding mid-afternoon.
Conference attendees are invited to attend a reception Saturday evening, following the APPE Members meeting.
Medical error cannot be completely avoided or foreseen. Nevertheless, it raises a host of ethical issues because of patients’ dependence on their doctors’ expert judgment and the effects of medical mistakes on patient safety and public health. Medical providers and hospitals may be ethically blameworthy if they do not take care to prevent mistakes, if they do not communicate honestly about mistakes, and if they do not respond justly and compassionately when mistakes happen.
Submissions for individual or panel presentations for the mini conference are being accepted through the APPE EasyChair site. Possible topics relating to the ethical implications of medical error include:
- Risk factors for medical error
- Preventing medical error
- Disclosing medical error
- Medical error and trust in health-care professions
- Learning from medical error
- Reporting a colleague’s medical error
- Defensive medicine and medical error
- History of medical error
- Medical error v. medical malpractice
- Economics of medical error
- Coping with the results of medical error
- Vulnerability and medical error
- Different perspectives on medical error based on roles in the health-care system
- International perspectives on medical error in different health-care systems
- Links between medical error and error in professional ethics more generally
Please, see the Submission Instructions page of the APPE Website for additional information. Deadline for submissions is October 27, 2017.
Click here for more Information about the APPE Conference.
Click here to register for the conference and the mini conference.
Association for Practical and Professional Ethics
P.O. Box 37
Greencastle, Indiana 46135
+1 765-658-5015 | email@example.com